Dr. Stress & Associates, LLC
5480 Arndt Lane, Suite 3
Eau Claire, WI 54701
Phone: (715) 833-7111

"He Said, She Said" Divorce Blog
with Dr. Stress and Therapist Nicole Myers

How do I handle my children showing disrespect to a new significant other: "You're not my parent I don't have to listen to you" attitude?
Posted on January 21st by Dr. Brian Stress, Psy.D.

Listen to this Article now

If you decide you have emotionally healed enough to develop a relationship with a significant other, good for you, but it is complicated. It should be noted that the children did not decide to be in a relationship with your boyfriend or girlfriend. They did not, nor should they, decide that their parents were going to divorce. They may resent that you are attempting to replace their mother or father with somebody they don't even know. I have worked with thousands of children who resent their parents for trying to be happy after a divorce. I have also, unfortunately, worked with thousands of divorced parents who have chosen their new relationship over their existing relationship with their children from their previous marriage. Whether or…

Read the full story and leave comments. »

How do I handle my children showing disrespect to a new significant other ("You're not my parent; I don't have to listen to you" attitude)?
Posted on January 15th by By Nicole Myers, MS, LPC

Listen to this Article now

You have moved on, ready to have a new relationship and all that entails. You have begun a new chapter in your life. Unfortunately, it looks like your children aren't joining you in your happiness with your new relationship. In fact, they may be actively working to undermine your happiness by being disrespectful to your new partner. This is not only frustrating, it can cause you a lot of distress as your new relationship is impacted by your children's behaviors. It is not unusual for children to feel threatened by Mom or Dad's new relationship. They not only have two households where they used to have one, they now have to share their parent with another person. The good news, children can and do adjust to such additions and you can help…

Read the full story and leave comments. »

How do I introduce my children to a new romantic partner after a divorce?
Posted on December 24th by Dr. Brian Stress, Psy.D.

Please remember that the children do not dictate when parent's divorce, or not, which may results in them feeling helpless during this process. Forcing any relationship on your children may unleash resentment and may provide your children with the ammunition to get even with you for perceived injustice they have endured. It would be understandable that your children may be scared that they are going to be forgotten or replaced by your new partner and possibly their family.

Introducing a new romantic partner to your children can be complicated. I suggest that you introduce the new romantic partner to the children in an environment where the children feel safe and have the choice of interacting with your new partner, or not.…

Read the full story and leave comments. »

How do I introduce my children to a new partner after divorce?
Posted on December 21st by By Nicole Myers, MS, LPC

Listen to this Article now

Returning to dating can be thrilling, exciting, scary and even a lot of fun. If you have children, there is another whole aspect of dating: how will your children respond to your new boyfriend or girlfriend? This can be tricky. You want your children to be happy for you and enjoy this new person with you. We cannot control how our children react but we can help set the stage for a more positive interaction.

First of all, pick who you introduce your children to carefully. They don't need to meet every first date, you're not a teenager and their not your parents, you're in charge of who you date. Take your time, only introduce someone whom you know well enough to feel is serious relationship material. If someone has been judged by…

Read the full story and leave comments. »

How do my ex and I figure out custody and placement of our children?
Posted on December 14th by Dr. Brian Stress, Psy.D.

First, custody and placement are two different terms. Placement refers to physical placement of the children (e.g. Child will spend Easter at mom's house and Labor day at dad's house.) Custody refers to legal issues related to the children such as who will make decisions about the where the children will go to school, non-emergency healthcare (e.g. braces,..), and religious training…

I complete court ordered custody evaluations. Custody and placement evaluations are generally considered the most difficult work a psychologist can participate within as a result of all the different circumstances that must be considered. Yet, the vast majority of parents develop acceptable custody and placement schedules on their…

Read the full story and leave comments. »

How do my ex and I figure out custody and placement of our children? What are the best options?
Posted on December 11th by Nicole Myers, MS, LPC

Listen to this Article now

It can be exhausting and painful to consider having less time with your children. You're used to seeing and caring for your children on a daily basis and now have to give up some of that placement time. You have been able to make decisions about your children's care within your household and now will need to share such custody choices. With divorce, you have to negotiate this unwanted change along with your own emotional, financial and physical adjustments. Having children together means having to continue to interact with our ex when many times we would rather forget that person even exists.

We can be most successful in managing custody and placement issues if we follow a few simple rules. One, custody and placement is about our…

Read the full story and leave comments. »

Read more Ask Dr Stress questions.

The Latest from Facebook

Providing services throughout the State of Wisconsin! Read more. »

Follow us on Facebook

Find us on Twitter

Have questions? Send us an email.

Dr. Stress's Forensic Consulting Service - Dr. Stress is available to consult with lawyers related to any psychological questions about a specific case including, but not limited to:

    1. Whether or not it would be beneficial to complete a forensic psychological examination for any legal purpose
    (i.e. “NGI,” guardianship, psychosexual risk assessment, mental health diagnosis and treatment, custody, parental fitness, homicide evaluations, etc.)

    a. Provide assistance related to psychological issue related to a specific case.

    b. Formulate specific questions that may be addressed with a forensic psychological examination.

    2. Examine completed psychological reports for specific strengths and weaknesses.

    3. Assist with the development of questions for testimony.

    4. Any other question you may have related to psychology and the legal system.

    Call: (715) 833-7111
    To talk to or schedule a consulting appointment with Dr. Stress

Dr. Stress & Associates, LLC is an outpatient mental health clinic located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

For appointments call: (715) 833-7111

1. Provides services to children, adolescents, adults and seniors.

    a. Individual Counseling
    b. Family/Couples therapy
    c. Psychological assessments
    d. Neuropsychological assessments
    e. Alcohol and other drug abuse/dependency services

2. Forensic evaluations completed by Dr. Stress. Please view Dr. Stress's Vita.

3. Professional and self-referrals accepted and appreciated.

4. Most insurance companies accepted. Please call to verify benefits with your insurance company.

Areas of Assessment


Forensic Evaluations
Mental Health
One-on-One Counseling
Academic Evaluation
Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse Services

Our Services

We provide services to:
• Children
• Adolescents
• Adults
• Seniors

Parenting Cookbook


Gain an understanding of parenting skills that work. This book offers uncomplicated tools for parents and caregivers to use for a lifetime.

Click here to purchase and see more details.